WordsofaReader

WordsofaReader

I talk about books to my camera on regular intervals. Sometimes people watch the results. http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsofaReader

Oliver Twist
Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck
The Shadow Thief
Alexandra Adornetto
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Series #1)
The Rising Tide (VMC)
Molly Keane

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1) - Jeff Lindsay Lets start off by saying I adore the Showtime series, Dexter and was originally unaware that they were based on/inspired by Jeff Lindsays novels. Being that i enjoy the series and being that I enjoy reading I thought I may as well give them a go.Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first in the series and thus far the only one I own. DDD is, as far as I'm aware, the only book that holds major similarities to the show. After the first season they took things in their own direction, leaving Jeff Lindsays, Dexter Morgan behind and creating their own version.For anyone not in the know, Dexter Morgan is a Blood Spatter Specialist working for Miami Metro in the USA. He has a sister (through adoption), a girlfriend and...yeah, that's pretty much where the normalcy ends. Dexter is a serial killer, the twist being that he only kills other killers. He's basically Batman but with a few less morals.Dexter is one very messed up guy. He doesn't feel emotions or at least not in the way everyone else does. He's cold and detached and very good and pretending he's not.It was a rather strange experience coming to the book after having seen the show since I came to this already having an affection for the main characters and a vague idea of what to expect, story wise. I pretty much had to throw everything I knew out the window about half way through though. Dexter in the book and Dexter in the show are, to me, very different people. I don't sympathise with the book Dexter in the same way I've learnt to in the series. He's much harder to get a grasp of and there's certainly more of a fear factor woven into his persona. Which when it comes down to it probably makes for a more believable serial killer.There are a handful of major differences between DDD and the first series of the show, none of which I'll list here in case anyone is wanting to find them out for themselves.If I had to choose between the books and the show after only the first volume I think I'd choose the show but I may be biased since I came to it first. Jeff Lindsay is an accomplished writer with a lot to offer and this certainly won't be the last of his writing that I sample.