WordsofaReader

WordsofaReader

I talk about books to my camera on regular intervals. Sometimes people watch the results. http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsofaReader

Oliver Twist
Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck
The Shadow Thief
Alexandra Adornetto
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Series #1)
The Rising Tide (VMC)
Molly Keane

The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux, Alexander Teixeira de Mattos, John L. Flynn I’m going to begin by saying, I have not read enough gothic literature and that is a shame because it can be fantastic! Gaston Leroux’, The Phantom of the Opera is not really a novel I’d ever thought about reading until I stumbled across it in the Kindle store. It’s part of the public domain free downloads and having nothing to lose I didn’t hesitate in acquiring it. It sat there untouched on my kindle for about 2 weeks before I had a sudden and overwhelming urge to begin reading it. So read it I did and I haven’t regretted it for a second. I adore the overall tone of this novel. It’s dark and sometimes uncomfortable. It leaves you guessing for the majority of the story without being too ambiguous.The story revolves around opera singer, Christine Daaé and her relationship with the ‘ghost’ that resides in opera house she performs in. I don’t really want to give much away for anyone who is unfamiliar with the story. I think it’s definitely something that’s best discovered for yourself. For anyone unaware this book was originally written in French and often times it can be difficult to find a good translation of a foreign language novel and since this was part of the public domain content I wasn’t too sure how this was going to go but I was more than pleasantly surprised. The writing was lovely. Easy to read and perfectly in keeping with the tone. Anyone with a kindle go and check this out right now. Honestly it’s well worth your time.