WordsofaReader

WordsofaReader

I talk about books to my camera on regular intervals. Sometimes people watch the results. http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsofaReader

Oliver Twist
Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck
The Shadow Thief
Alexandra Adornetto
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Series #1)
The Rising Tide (VMC)
Molly Keane

The Wide Window: Book the Third (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

The Wide Window: Book the Third (A Series of Unfortunate Events) - The Wide Window is the third book in A Series of Unfortunate Events and possibly one of my favourites. Having said that though there really isn't a volume in this series that I don't enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, Daniel Handler can do no wrong.The Wide Window sees our three young protagonists go to live with their Aunt Josephine in her precariously placed home on the side of a cliff, teetering above Lake Lachrymose. The same lake where her husband had previous perished at the hands of the Lachrymose leeches.Aunt Josephine is a wonderfully quirky character who has a love for grammar and a fear of basically everything else. She is terrified of, but not limited to, the following - her door mat, the oven, the telephone, the radiator, her sofa, doorknobs, burglars and real estate agents... She is certifiable but seemingly sweet; unfortunately, her fear gets the better of her in the end and she is not even able to put the well being of the Baudelaire children ahead of her own debilitating fears, once again leaving the children to realise that the only people they can really count on are each other.One thing I really love about this series is the hilariously unusual imagery and metaphors. This volume in particular has some simply brilliant moments. Every now and then Handler will throw in just a little bit of humor, used in such a straight and serious way that it makes you stop and really enjoy the process of reading these fantastic books.Another thing I adore are the details, the names of the towns and cities and stores and restaurants. They're always so tongue in cheek. They really add to this partially dystopian society that Handler has created. The Wide Window alone includes, "The Fickle Ferry", A clothing store called - "Look! It Fits!" and a restaurant called - "The Anxious Clown".Everything about the Baudelaires existence is slightly surreal but at the same time is just so engaging and entrancing. Despite all the horrible things the children see and go through and even though we as the reader would never really want to know what it's like to be in their shoes there's still something so covert-able about them as characters. It's most likely just the appeal of their strength, wit, humor and intelligence that get them through all the messes they find themselves in the middle of relevantly unscathed. I mean who wouldn't want to be so relentlessly capable?