WordsofaReader

WordsofaReader

I talk about books to my camera on regular intervals. Sometimes people watch the results. http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsofaReader

Oliver Twist
Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck
The Shadow Thief
Alexandra Adornetto
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Series #1)
The Rising Tide (VMC)
Molly Keane

Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Penguin Popular Classics)

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a childhood staple and has been for well over 100 years now. Most children are more familiar with the 1939 MGM film adaption staring the lovely Judy Garland then the book these days which I'm not going to turn my nose up at since I adore the film; however, It does make me a little sad that the original novel and it's subsequent sequels don't always get the recognition they deserve.I myself hadn't read any of L. Frank Baums wonderful books until a couple of years ago and I sorrow at all the time lost. His amazingly simplistic writing coupled with the imagination of a genius is sheer perfection.I'm still collecting the Oz series for myself. I currently only own the first 4 and have only read the first 3 but I've made a conscious decision to purchase and read the entire series this year in an attempt to celebrate the wonder of childrens literature.I've just finished re-reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and I'm beginning to see that it only gets better with each additional reading.For those who have managed to stay oblivious as to the storyline of this wonderful classic, it all begins in deary old rural Kansas where little Dorothy and her dog Toto live with her Aunt and Uncle in a farmhouse. When a tornado hits, Dorothy and her dog are sent flying through the air only to find themselves in the far off land of Oz with no foreseeable way of getting home. Dorothy learns that her only hope is to ask the great and terrible wizard of Oz for help and meets many a friend and foe along the way.For anyone who has only seen the film it may be prudent to warn you that the book is a little darker. There are a few gory moments of ick but nothing that I think any child would mind too much. I think it's us poor adults that have problems with moments of horror or violence in childrens literature and film rather then the brave children of whom are the intended audience.I also find the book far more humorous and witty with some highly satisfactory ironic moments thrown in, making for a very enjoyable read from an adult perspective.The landscape and characters are both believable and fantastical. Baum writes with such authority that no matter how zany his plot points get I'm always willing to suspend disbelief in order to find out what will happen next.I also find myself emotionally attached to all of the major players from the get go, wishing them all a safe passage through the sometimes ominously eery land of OzFor anyone who hasn't cracked the spine on an Oz book I ask you why not? L. Frank Baum is the perfect author to spend a rainy afternoon with. He's charming and inventive and wholly readable. I would recommend him to anyone of any age, including you, dear reader.