WordsofaReader

WordsofaReader

I talk about books to my camera on regular intervals. Sometimes people watch the results. http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsofaReader

Oliver Twist
Leonard Maltin, Jerry Beck
The Shadow Thief
Alexandra Adornetto
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next Series #1)
The Rising Tide (VMC)
Molly Keane

Girl With a Pearl Earring: (Deluxe Edition)

Girl With a Pearl Earring: (Deluxe Edition) - I must say that character studies are always of a certain appeal to me. I love the idea of an in depth look inside a person's life and thoughts. Of all the novels I've read that can fit into this category, however loosely, the one that has beguiled me the most was Girl with a Pearl Earring.Tracy Chavalier writes with such ease of knowledge that almost any sentence she begins is bound to end with me falling just that little bit more in love.Her 1999 best seller, Girl with a Pearl Earring (for those of you unlucky enough to have not read it yet) is set during the 1600's in Delft and follows the story of a young girl named Griet who becomes a maid for the renowned artist, Vermeer and his family.Griet is a quiet and introspective character whose simple thoughts and moral beliefs are the back bone of this novel. Her introduction to the world of paint and colour is in itself the most rewarding aspect of the book. Seeing her see the world through different eyes is simply breathtaking. Chavalier writes with such precision and force of life that I found it difficult to come out of the little world she had created when I reached the novels end. This is without a doubt one to put on the re-read list.